1. The history of irrigation organization
Ming and Qing Dynasties
Private irrigation channels were established, privately operated irrigation facilities were available to trade freely
The era of Japanese occupation (1944 and earlier)
- 1901 "Regulations on Public Irrigation Channels in Taiwan" announced "Management Offices" as the sub-organizations.
- 1908 "Regulations on Government-owned Irrigation Channels" announced”
- 1922 "Rules on Irrigation Cooperatives in Taiwan" announced
After Restoration (1945 and after)
- 1946 reorganized as " Irrigation Coordination Associations"
- 1948 reorganized as "Irrigation Committees"
- 1956 reorganized as "Irrigation Associations"
- 2020 Reorganized as the Irrigation Agency, with "Management Offices" as the sub-organizations
2. Approval and establishment
The Council of Agriculture under the Executive Yuan set up the Irrigation Agency to be in charge of irrigation operations. In accordance with a letter issued on August 7, 2020 by the Executive Yuan, the "Provisional Organization Regulations of the Irrigation Agency, Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan" came into force on October 1, 2020.
On August 12, 2020, the Council of Agriculture adopted and issued the Provisional Organization Regulations of the Irrigation Agency, which was implemented from October 1, 2020.
On May 16, 2023, the Legislative Yuan passed the third reading of the “Draft Organizational Law for the Ministry of Agriculture” and the “Draft Organizational Law for the Irrigation Agency, Ministry of Agriculture” to be implemented on August 1, 2023, wherein the Irrigation Agency under the Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan will be officially reorganized as the “Irrigation Agency, Ministry of Agriculture”.